Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chicken and shrimp gumbo

I have to admit something - I'm not very good at measuring spices. I also love garlic. A lot. Generally I just eyeball it and dump in what seems to be an appropriate amount. Then I taste whatever I'm cooking and adjust accordingly. I also like my food to be well seasoned. That said, I'll do my best to give an accurate(ish) measurement of the spices in my dishes, but you would be wise to adjust according to your taste buds. 

This was our dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious. After a long day at work, it was also great to have something quick, easy, and warm to settle down with. This dish is chalked full of veggies and to make it an easy weeknight meal, I used leftover rotisserie chicken from last night's dinner, premade chicken stock (you could used store bought), and frozen okra. This is super versatile, so add whatever veggies you have on hand!

You'll have to excuse the lame photography. I'll become more dedicated to my Nikon one day.


Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo
(Note: this recipe made enough for the two of us + 2 quarts of extra. You may want to cut it in half unless you like leftovers and/or you like to keep soup in the freezer for later like I do!)

1lb jumbo prawns, cooked, peeled, and halved
1/2 rotisserie chicken (I used the breasts)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
4oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 (small) bag frozen, chopped okra
1 small onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red pepper flakes (we like a bit of a kick, so adjust to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook shrimp according to directions on bag. When done, chop in half and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Saute onions and garlic under onions are translucent. Add chicken stock, veggies, chicken, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until ready to serve. Add shrimp ~5 minutes before serving to heat through.

Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or enjoy as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment