Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kid proof oatmeal

My life is infinitely easier when I don't have to buy "kid friendly" food. It's also better for my grocery budget. Oatmeal is one of the most versatile ingredients we have in our house - Brandon can sweeten it up and I can add as much fruit as I want. This morning's masterpiece made an otherwise bland bowl of oatmeal into something chalked full of vitamins, antioxidants, and deliciousness. While I made it for my toddler, I would absolutely eat this bowl of oatmeal any day! You can follow this recipe or change up the ingredients to make it your own. (Our oatmeal concoctions change daily.)


Kid Proof Oatmeal

Instant oats (we also use steel cut sometimes)
Milk
Banana, sliced
Pomegranate seeds
Cinnamon applesauce

Put oats and milk in a bowl (the ratio of oats:milk depends on how wet you like your oatmeal. Aspen likes hers pretty dry, so we do 2:1 oats:milk). Microwave for ~1 minute. If it's not cooked or if it's still too wet, continue to microwave in 30 second increments.

Add a large scoop of cinnamon applesauce (I canned a lot of applesauce in October, so I use homemade), pomegranate seeds, and banana slices. Mix together. Serve immediately.

Seriously, it doesn't get any easier than that.

1 comment: