Sunday, February 26, 2012

No Fail Whole Wheat Pancakes

I love pancakes. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. It doesn't matter. Give me a pancake and I will love you forever. When I learned that I could make delicious pancakes without Bisquick, my whole world changed. While I'm sure you will see several variations of pancakes pop up as time goes on, this is my go to recipe.

The extra baking powder helps keep these whole wheat pancakes from being too dense, which is a huge bonus. I love whole wheat pancakes, but don't like when they sit in your stomach like a brick because of their density. This recipe does not do that. It creates delicious, fluffy pancakes that are a blank canvas for any kind of toppings and extras you like. My little one loves them with fruit of any sort (the other night she had one that had blueberries, bananas, and pomegranate seeds). Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Pancakes

2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Optional add ins (the options are endless)
Bananas
Berries
Pomegranate seeds
Apples
Pears
Honey
Cinnamon

Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth.

Spray a griddle with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Make sure your griddle is hot when you pour the batter on to keep your pancakes from spreading too thin.*

Flip pancakes when you see bubbles on the uncooked side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.

*Note: If you are adding fruit, I suggest putting it in the batter once you have the pancake on the griddle to ensure even distribution and to ensure that it doesn't break up in the batter. If you put it in the bowl of batter, gently fold it in after you whisk the rest of the ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment