Monday, February 20, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

Muffins. Who doesn't love them? Quick, easy, delicious, and (when made correctly) pretty healthy. These muffins are sugar free, egg free, and dairy free. I'm skeptical any time I see a recipe that uses those three terms, but believe me, this one turned out delightfully!

Note: In order for this to remain sugar free, you'll want to use sugar free applesauce. I used homemade cinnamon applesauce and I don't add sugar to it. Also, after making and eating these throughout the week, I would suggest being fairly liberal with the cinnamon in order to give them a little more flavor.


Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Makes 26 muffins
Adapted from Homemade Baby Food
 
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 heaping tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cinnamon
6 medium bananas, peeled (the riper, the better in my opinion)
1 cup sugar free applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with muffin holders or grease them thoroughly.

Break up bananas into thirds and place in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add applesauce and almond milk. Mix on low speed until bananas are pretty well broken up, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Continue to mix until combined. If the batter is too thick, add additional almond milk slowly. (I ended up needing 1-2 additional tbsp.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the muffin.

Remove from muffin pan and cool on wire rack. Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment