Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins

Now I know some of you will turn up your nose at a muffin that has the words "whole wheat" and "quinoa", but seriously, these are SO good. Even more impressive (to me anyway) is that I actually created this recipe because it was what I wanted to make and I couldn't find anything on the internet that had banana, pumpkin, and quinoa in it. Part of the reason I am so thrilled that this worked out is because in my VERY last post (about chocolate molten cakes) I mentioned that I don't bake from my own head because I'm afraid of messing it up. Well folks, here's to a new beginning!

Anyway, these muffins are moist (thank you pumpkin puree, mashed bananas, and yogurt), full of protein (thank you yogurt and quinoa), and I'm sure they must have a decent amount of fiber in them. Most of all, they are delicious! Toddler approved and the hubs said they are the best muffins I have ever made (and he is one who usually turns up his nose at all things 'whole wheat').


Whole Wheat Banana Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins
Makes 24 muffins
 
2 ripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the better)
1 cup pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
1 cup cooked quinoa (=1/2 cup dry, rinsed quinoa)
4 tbsp melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour (or all purpose) 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare 24 muffin cups by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or lining with muffin cups.

Rinse 1/2 cup dry quinoa and put in a saucepan with ~1 cup water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, allowing it to simmer for 15-20 minutes. The quinoa should be soft, but not mushy, and most of the water should be gone. Drain any excess water.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine bananas, pumpkin, eggs, butter, yogurt, sugar, molasses, and vanilla. Mix to combine well. Add 1 cup cooked quinoa and turn on to a low speed to combine. Add dry ingredients and mix well, scraping the sides as needed to ensure that the ingredients incorporated fully.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400 degrees for 22-24 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment