Sunday, March 4, 2012

Avocado chicken salad

I love chicken salad sandwiches but I do not love mayo. This obviously presents a problem as mayo is generally the base for chicken salad. I've added avocado to smoothies before - the result of which was delightfully creamy. I also made this avocado sauce pasta and it was to die for. In my quest to add more vegetables and healthy fats to meals, I decided to throw in an avocado to see what happens. Needless to say, I think next time I'll probably throw in two avocados and cut the mayo down even more because this was really yummy! I served them on these rolls, which I have made two Sundays in a row because they are just that good.
Chicken Salad Sandwiches

2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 avocado, pitted and mashed
1/2 cup mayo
Pepper to taste
Bread, rolls, or tortillas for serving

Put chicken breasts in a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from water and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, cut into bite size pieces.

Put chicken in a large bowl. Add chopped celery and avocado. Mash avocado with a fork. Add 1/4 cup mayo and mix together. Continue adding up to another 1/4 cup mayo until salad has the desired consistency and taste. Add black pepper to taste.

Serve immediately or chill until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment