Sunday, March 11, 2012

Back from a temporary hiatus + new recipe: Apple Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins

It has been nearly a week since my last post - oops! Last week was kind of a whirlwind of a new roomie, long days at work, a cranky toddler, and getting ready to go out of town for an extended weekend. Needless to say, there was barely time for the cooking, let alone the documenting of said cooking!

But I'm back with a really delicious muffin recipe. Apparently I'm on a muffin kick. And by apparently, I mean that I am on a muffin kick. So much so that I made two different kinds of muffins tonight because I couldn't decide which one sounded better. My family and coworkers will be very happy.

My favorite muffin recipe is this delicious apple muffin recipe. I generally make it as is (although I always use all whole wheat flour), but tonight I decided to kick it up a notch. After my last batch of muffins that included quinoa turned out brilliantly, I thought I'd see what other kinds of muffins I could integrate quinoa into.

So ... here you have it. Muffin-heaven part 1.

Apple Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins
Makes 2 dozen muffins
 
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt (Greek would also work)
1 cup pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
1 cup cooked quinoa (~1/2 cup dry)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
6+ tbsp cinnamon (be generous)
3 large apples, cored and cubed

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare muffin tins by spraying with nonstick spray or lining.

Rinse 1/2 cup dry quinoa before placing in a small saucepan. Add approximately 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until water is almost completely absorbed and quinoa is tender.

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time. Mix on low speed until fully incorporated. Add yogurt, pumpkin puree, and quinoa. Continue to mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients. Mix well.

Fold in apple chunks and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. You can fill your tins pretty full. The muffins will rise some, but not much.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 400 degrees and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted into the muffin.
 
Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. These muffins are delightful when served warm but are equally delightful when served at room temp.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sam, I am totally making these tonight! I was just wanting to find a muffin recipe with quinoa in it, and this looks like the perfect recipe. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete