Friday, March 2, 2012

Crepes

Crepes.

What can I say about crepes? Delicious. Versatile. Savory. Sweet. Absolutely best thing ever.

The hubs and I had a crepe dinner party - we started with crepes filled with cheese, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, peppers, scallions, eggs, ham, and all the savory deliciousness we could come up with. Then we devoured chocolate and jam filled crepes. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night!

This is the crepe recipe I have in my recipe box - I have no idea where it came from originally, but it works equally well for savory and sweet crepes, although you could certainly add 1-2 tbsp sugar if you wanted the batter to be on the sweeter side.

Make these!

Crepes

2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on low speed until batter is thin and lump free. For best results, let batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to eliminate air bubbles.

Heat a 12" nonstick griddle pan over medium heat. Use a small amount of butter to grease the pan. Keep your butter handy, you'll probably need to rebutter the pan every 2-3 crepes.

Once your pan is nice and hot, pick it up off the heat with one hand. With the other hand, add approximately 1/3 cup batter, swirling the pan quickly to spread the batter as thin as possible. Cook for about 4 minutes (or until light brown) and then flip. Cook an additional 4 minutes (or until light brown). Repeat until all batter has been used.

To keep crepes warm, you can put them on an oven safe plate in the oven at the lowest heat setting possible.

Next time I make these I will try to take note of how many they made. I tripled the recipe for a dinner party and had enough for 4 adults and 2 kids, plus we still had about 8 leftover.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, those look delicious! I am such a big fan of crepes of all types! I'm going to have to make some now. You've convinced me!! =p

    Off to my kitchen I go....

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they turned out! We love crepes around here!

    ReplyDelete