Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meaty Marinara Sauce

I have gone through my ups and downs with pasta sauce in my life. My mom always made her own from tomato sauce and tomato paste, which I loved. However, even on my best days, mine always turns out a little watery. I can't seem to get the sauce:paste ratio correct. I've also gone the jarred pasta sauce route, but it's pretty expensive and not always the best quality.

Then, as I was perusing the canned tomato aisle, I stumbled upon something that has revolutionized my marinara sauce: crushed tomatoes.

Yes, I know I'm a loser. How could I not know about crushed tomatoes before now? I simply never had a reason to use them. So in case anyone out there is under the same rock I've been under all my life, here you go. (Or, if you knew they existed and just never thought of making your own marinara sauce, this is also for you.) Super easy. Super delicious. Super hearty.

Meaty Marinara Sauce

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
5 gloves garlic, roughly minced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
3 tbsp extra  virgin olive oil
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp dried basil
3 tbsp dried oregano

3 tbsp Italian seasoning



Brown meat. Drain excess fat and season with 3 tbsp Italian seasoning.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a thick bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic and onions for 2-3 minutes. This will leave the onions somewhat crunchy, so if you want them more tender, saute longer. Reduce heat to low. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir together. Add meat once it is cooked through.

Simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, or until hot.

Serve over your favorite noodles or with bread for dipping.

Note: This will make pretty chunky sauce, so if you want it more saucey, you may want to use 2 cans of tomatoes instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment